PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Program
The PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor program is your final step in the quest to
become a PADI Instructor. During the OWSI, you'll learn to use and adapt the PADI
System of diver education to individual student needs. Comprehensive training, supported
by a wide variety of PADI educational materials, earns PADI Instructors respect
from both students and peers. PADI Open Water Scuba Instructors may conduct a broad
range of PADI programs from Discover Scuba to Divemaster.
The PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor rating sets you apart from the crowd.
PADI Instructors do things others can only daydream about.
If you want to live an extraordinary life, you're in the right place.
What do I need to start?
- PADI Assistant Instructor certification or be an instructor in
good standing with another training organization for at least six months ( check
with a PADI Course Director or PADI Office for qualifying credentials.)
- Hold a dive certification for at least six months
- Have 60 logged dives that include night, deep and navigation dives
- Proof of CPR training within the last 24 months
- Medical clearance signed by a physician
What will I do?
How long will it take?
- You will complete the last 5 days of an Instructor Development Course (IDC)
- Knowledge development through self-study, quizzes, lectures and presentations
- Confined water skill review and assessment, workshops and presentations
- Open water workshops, rescue assessment and candidate presentations
- Have at least 100 logged dives prior to entering a PADI Instructor Exam
- For more info, schedules and places to stay, scroll to the bottom of the
A PADI Pro-IDC page
- Times can vary from four days to three weeks or more
What materials are needed?*
- PADI Instructor Manual
- Instructor Guide to Teaching
- Open Water Lesson Planning Slate
- Confined Water Lesson Preparation Slate
- Open Water Aquatic Cue Cards
- Confined Water Aquatic Cue Cards
- The Law and the Diving Professional
- The Business of Diving
The Best of The Undersea Journal
- Current Log Book
- Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Instructor Outline
- Project AWARE Specialty Program Instructor Outline
- Aware Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Instructor Outline
- Open Water Diver Manual
- 2 Recreational Dive Planners: e-RDPML and table, and Instructions for Use Booklets
- Open Water Diver Quizzes and Exam booklet
- Adventures in Diving Manual
- Rescue Diver Manual
- Rescue Diver Final Exams Booklet
- Divemaster Manual
- Divemaster Final Exams Booklet
*These are the same materials used in the PADI Assistant Instructor course.
What does the course cost?
- Standard Weekday $1300 plus materials**
- Standard Weekday $900 with eLearning Complete plus materials**
- Weekend Format Call for Pricing plus materials**
- Semi-Private $2,000 with eLearning complete plus materials**
- ** must complete the PADI Online segment prior to start of class. Link
**Private IDC'S available in Orland Park. If you have a group we can schedule an IDC, at your facility!**
We are approved for VA benefits
Instructor-level continuing education courses available following every IDC!
Accommodations near Orland Park:
Just mention you are with Scuba Emporium for special rates!
Wingate by Windham-Tinley Park (708) 614-6914
Comfort Inn & Conference Centre-Orland Hills (708) 403-1100
Super 8 Motel - Mokena (708) 479-7808